Thursday, February 3, 2011

It is on how you say it...

Lately, my son had been addicted to watching videos of  his favorite cartoon
characters in my laptop. He does this at bedtime maybe around 1-2 hrs.
Although my facebooking and blogging time were lessened since he's
using it, I was happy seeing him enjoying his watching. Until one day when
I received his quiz folder, results were low. Despite reviewing before his
watching time, I think maybe everything that he reviewed were eaten up by
this cartoon characters playing on his mind.

Knowing my kid's defense mechanism to cry if he doesn't get what he wants
and would not want to worsen his colds by crying, I just lied to him that
the USB inet dongle needed to play the video on You Tube was lost. As
expected, no explanation was able to appease him, which forced me to say
"NO" in a harsh way.  With consistently saying "NO, NO and NO", my son
just turned his back from me and sleep with his eyes full of tears. 

Contemplating on it, saying "NO" already made him sad and saying it with
anger had hurt him very much.

It was time again to reflect on the saying: IT IS NOT WHAT YOU SAY,
IT IS HOW YOU SAY IT...

I knew my son should had been willing to agree with me that time but when I
said NO in an unnicely way, a very negative response came out  of him.  If only
I couched NO in a caring language, great percentage that I should have elicited
a cooperative and better response from him. What do you think?

Now, I'll be sleeping with an aching heart for appearing as the BAD GUY
to my son.


No comments:

Post a Comment