Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Balancing my work with family life

I am a mother raising a 4-yr old boy who is already on its kinder level, have a
profession which requires me to manage not only people but systems that help
people manage their work, a wife to an IT professional also who is on-call
even at night, have a house to maintain and most of all a home to keep
together. I am not a super mom neither a super wife which I can say that it is
easy for me to balance work and family life at the same time.  Thanks to the
sharing of others and readings from the net which I got ideas and have been
applying them now.

Hope you can find them useful too. 

1. I make time for my family.
   Although quality time is acceptable to my husband, I think quantity matters
   for kids. Now that my son knows the days of the week and activities associated
   with each day, its kinda automatic that I have to be with him on the weekends. 
   To have that time, I always try that all my work tasks are done in the office
   which I render OT sometimes. But in cases which I need to work at home, I do it
   when my son is asleep. Its really difficult to find time, let us make time for
   our families.

2. Have a date with my husband.
   Having kid/s does not mean that after work, all my attention should be on my
   son.  Aside from going out as a family during weekends, we make sure that
   we go out and date once in a while may it be in whatever form (dining,
   watching movie/DVD, malling around, grocery,etc.). This is our time to talk
   of everything under the sun...from future plans to romantic moments and
   talk even trivial things. 
  
3. I treat myself once in a while.
   A SPA, date with a salon expert, date with old friends or families can help
   de-stress our minds. Feeling good make ourselves look better to others.
  
4. I have a life list
   First, I give my self a time to meditate which helps me organize everything
   for myself, in my work and for my family. I list my short and long terms
   plans in a TO-DO list  Notepad app then put a time frame for each item.
   Based on priorities, I commit to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment