Thursday, January 27, 2011

Marty's date with his LIBRARY

It is a fact that reading is a fundamental part of a child's education.  And I also
agree to this article which I read from the net that children who learn to read from
an early age excel on academic areas. I see it now with Marty. At 4, he can read
paragraphs and stories. That is why I am very happy and thankful that Marty has
developed his love for reading and books at an early age of 3.

It actually  started when  his papa bought him comics of  superheroes which was
one of his  favorite to watch when he was  2. That time, after watching the dvds
of batman, superman and alike, he turns to his comics and murmuring words with
matching actions in which as if he can read the story. His grandma(who is a
teacher) noticed it and gave him the ABAKADA paperbound book. The one in
tagalog and being used in teaching pupils how to read in public school. They had
one-on-one session one weekend and presto, Marty was able to read tagalog
3-syllable words at 3.

From then on, even when we go to Toy Kingdom and groceries(with mag/comics
stands), his interest was on the books and comics and just a little on toys. I buy
the ones he chose, he read it orally and aloud and sometimes we read together at
home.  So to boost more his interest in reading, I introduced him the Fully Booked
in The Block @ SM North. When we went there the first time, I saw how his eyes
smiled after seeing all his favorite cartoon and superheroes characters books.
He immediately picked up some and went to one corner, sat down and read
without asking me if he can read there.  Maybe, he saw other kids
sitting down and reading also. And the rest was history.





Now, he is always looking forward to a weekend of reading in Fully Booked.
This excitement and eagerness for me means he is considering it as a hobby.
For me, that's really a great one.  Sometimes, if he really loves the book, he
requests me to buy  it. So aside from his toy collection, he has plenty of
books, mags and comics at home which he reads every now and then. I may
spend a few bucks going there but I could never pay that experience for Marty.


Also, I really thank this bookstore - Fully Booked which is one of the instruments
for my Marty's education. As a gratitude, I recommend this to my friends to
bring their kids there. Aside that it offers hard-to-find books, it is very conducive
for pass-time reading,  whether you buy or not. Marty also loves to read on their
branch at the Bonifacio Global City.

Today is Thursday late night and I am looking forward for Marty's date with his 
library for the nth time...


1 comment:

  1. nainggit ako!!! karl can read but still with a little push...

    saan nabibili ung ABAKADA paperbound book....

    bibili din ako...

    ReplyDelete