Saturday, July 23, 2011

Kumon Chronicles of my son - A self-learning journey

I was worried with the academic standing of my son this past few days after
receiving the results of his first major quiz for the 1st qtr.  In Science, he only
got half of the items, also low score in Math and unexpectedly not good in
Reading knowing that he can read stories and he's good in comprehension.

Aside from the major reason that I can't tutor him on his assignments and
reviews due to my over demanding work, he lacks focus to study every time
we are able to sneak time for a session.  When we're together, he just want
to play and watch with us.

Having heard Kumon from my friends who are also sending their kids to
this center,  I searched the net, inquired and decided to enroll my son there.

First, an assessment test was given to my son based on his age of 5.  The
teacher was surprised that it was perfect and my son can already read
paragraph.  I was then introduced to their learning system while my son was
given other activities to keep him busy.

Same as explained in the net, the Kumon Method is an individualized learning
method.  Worksheets are provided to allow students to figure out how to
solve problems on their own.  This will develop self-learning, self-discipline
to finish the assigned worksheets and eventually foster self-esteem and
confidence by exposing them to advanced learning.

Of course, having a personal tutor is entirely different from Kumon's objectives.
If I will hire a tutor for my son, he can only be prepared on their current lessons.
But in Kumon, he can discover things on his own, can acquire additional
knowledge aside from what is learned in school which will make him more
equipped to face advanced learnings.

I enrolled my son in Reading and he was recommended to start in level 5A.
5A allows students to develop more pre-reading skills by saying individual
sounds while tracing letters.  Towards the end of the level, students begin to
put together simple three letter words.  This is the 3rd level for beginning kids
though he is already good in story reading.  All throughout the level, he
should complete the 200 worksheets which will be answered in the center
and as take home activity and is expected to be completed for a month.
His schedule is 2 times a week with 45mins to 1 hr per session. Though
you can still stay after the 1 hour to read some books in the center or do
your other worksheets.

I paid 1800PHP as tuition + 500PHP for the enrollment processing for
a month's duration. After completing the 200 worksheets, an assessment
test will be given.

When my son was stamped with very good star on his hand, he feels
happy and proud leaving the center.  And yes, this new journey of my son
is yet to begin on July 26.

No comments:

Post a Comment